Monday, April 13, 2009

Blog Post #7: Reflections

I will be brutally honest here and admit that I came to this module hoping for an easy grade. My secondary objectives were to learn about how to write resumes and CVs, and just to get general feedback on my writing standards.

It is true that I have gained some things from this module. In professional communications, there can be little substitute for hands-on experience, and this module certainly emphasized practice. The number of deadlines I had for this module exceeds all my other modules combined. I have not had to make a presentation for some time now, and was quite stressed in the run-up to it. I am actually looking forward to the video review of our presentations, for I believe that self-awareness is a pre-requisite for self-improvement.

Having said that, I am somewhat disappointed with the feedback we were given over the course of the semester. Taking this blog as an example, I had hoped that we would receive specific feedback from the tutor on our entries, so that we could incorporate this feedback into our subsequent posts, and thus see if we have truly understood the comments. However, what we received was generic, group-level feedback, and I found it impossible to determine whether or not it was applicable to me. Many of our other assignments were one-offs, so even though we received feedback after the work was returned to us, we then had no opportunity to try and correct it and see if we had understood. I fear that this method of teaching may actually reinforce bad writing habits as opposed to promoting good ones.

Furthermore, this module was structured in such a way so as to allow for plenty of peer-level feedback. While giving peer feedback teaches us to read critically, enabling us to then critique our own work, I would personally have preferred feedback from the instructor. Very often, even as I gave others feedback about their writing, I would have to preface my comments with qualifiers such as, "I think"or "I feel". As a student taking this course, I by definition am not fully acquainted with the standards of writing which will be required of me in the workplace, and hence am unqualified to give comment on others' work. Similarly, I receive feedback from others with a pinch of salt, knowing that they face a similar situation.

I understand the physical impossibilities faced by the faculty in giving feedback to such a large number of students. I suppose that the peer feedback systems are meant to ameliorate this shortage by providing more feedback for each individual, albeit of uncertain standard. Yet I can only look back on the semester which has passed and wonder, "What if..."

5 comments:

  1. Dear Ben,

    An honest post with a genuine critique of the module that really cuts to the point.

    Though I would agree with you that it would be good to have more feedback from our instructors rather than from our peers, I’m quite satisfied with the amount of instructor feedback that we already have. I also feel that we could also learn from our peers who can at times, give good feedback. Rather than always getting feedback from one person, it would be useful to have views from others too.

    You mentioned that the teaching method may reinforce bad writing habits. As much as this is possible, I feel that with the constant scrutiny from our peers and instructor, we try to improve on our writing whenever we write. Practise is also better than no practise at all.

    Actually, I have also learnt a lot from having to give feedback to others, and not just to learn from feedback. This process of giving feedback could also be a great opportunity of learning especially for you, a future teacher. Take for example, when we pretend to be the intended audience for the presentation, we are ‘forced’ to find faults with the presentation. Through seeing from the audience’s point-of-view, we can also learn how to improve our future presentations.

    Anyway, I’m sure you’ll achieve your primary objective!

    Regards,
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ben,

    I believe I can safely say that many of us did indeed take this module with the same goal in mind, which is hoping for an easy grade. However, we soon found out that this grade would not be that easily earn.

    However, it is not what our intentions were when we took this module that is important but rather what we learn from the course that is invaluable. As you said you did indeed learn some things from this course.

    I understand where you are coming from about the issue of feedback. It is indeed better to gain feedback especially about language and writing styles from a professional rather than just from your peers.

    However, could we not just simply ask Ms Happy Goh personally about how we can improve on our work? People keep stressing to us that we should not longer be spoon fed, but rather actively search for our own answers. Hence had we wanted more feedback, I am fairly sure she would have obliged.

    In fact, we still have one more lesson left, so perhaps this might be our last chance to ask her personally how else we can improve in our work.


    Cheers, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben,

    It is true that feedbacks from the tutor may be more accurate and reliable, but I believe feedbacks from your peers can also give a broad view, although it may not detailed and to-the-point. Even as one learns to give feedbacks to the others, he is learning to look for flaws and to give constructive comments which I feel is a good skill to possess as well.

    Communication is a skill that needs time for the learner to inculcate it into a habit. Most of the university modules are taught at such a fast pace such that there’s really no time for the students to absorb. This module is pretty efficient already since we are all able to take something away from the course, no matter how minor it is.

    There are indeed many “what if”, but since the semester is coming to an end already, we can only try to make the best out of what we have gained.

    Regards,
    wanyee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ben,

    I agree with you that the feedback system could be further improved. However, the aim of the entire blogging process is to learn from one other in terms of communication as well as be exposed to different perspective as compared to just learning from the tutor- this module aimed to encourage self-learning and it achieved its goal. Anyway, it was great working with for the project..All the best for your exams!:)

    Cheers,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete