Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A brief introduction...

This blog is part of the course requirements for a university module I am taking at the National University of Singapore. The course is entitled "Professional Communications", and aims to develop students' communications skills in a context-sensitive manner. Future blog posts here will follow a fixed series of topics, related to the course content.

I decided to take up this particular module because it seemed like it would teach me skills which would actually be relevant outside of academic life. Good communication skills are critical to all our relationships, be they at home, work or play. The importance of good communication skills has been made exceptionally clear to me this past year or so, as I take up various leadership roles in school and in church. Several times, I have asked other people to complete certain tasks, only to find that the result is something completely different from what I expected. I am only now beginning to understand that communicating well involves far more than good language skills - in fact, simpler words tend to convey meaning more effectively. As a friend of mine once told me, "Eschew obfuscation*." This is a habit which I hope to unlearn. :)

Another bad habit which I have developed over the years is the tendency to communicate primarily by email and by sms. This is mainly because I find it very emotionally draining to talk to people. I am an introvert, and can happily spend many days cooped up in my house with no one to talk to. However, conversations by email take forever, and smses can get lost or ignored, and are hence ineffective in accomplishing tasks, and nearly useless for relationship-building. Over the years, I have become better at making small talk with people, and carrying on meaningless conversations in general, but when I am tired (which is often), my facade slips, and I become the silent observer in the group. Hopefully, this course will help unearth the more sociable part of me.

Last, but not least, this course promises to teach specific career-related skills such as report-writing, resume-writing etc. Also, as an MOE scholar and teacher-to-be, good speaking skills are a necessity. Again, I hope to improve these skills here.



*To obfuscate means to obscure one's meaning by using complex language. To eschew means to avoid. The phrase is meant to be ironic. Think about it. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bennn, well done on your description of why Professional Communication is Important. You managed to pin point why this skill is useful to you as an individual instead of talking generally about how it can be applied in everyday life. By writing this from a first person's point of view, you've made this post very much more interesting than if it was from a 3rd person's view. So kudos to the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben!
    I find your "eschew obfuscation" theory interesting and totally agree with it. You have personalized this post by relating it to your daily life and activities, and as a reader, I can easily relate to it.

    You have stated clearly your objectives of taking this course and for a teacher-to-be, communication is indeed a necessity. So hereby, I wish you luck in becoming a successful speaker in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way in which you try to bring your point across. By showing real-life examples, you humanize your point making it easier for people to understand and relate to it. So yup interesting writing style haha.

    Your point, about the efficiency that effective communication brings with it is certainly true, and very important in today's society.

    To sum up, while using one of your points, keeping things simple is indeed a good way to get your point across.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Benn!
    I think you've achieved your goal to convey meaning clearly with simple words; simple words are especially welcomed by me! :)

    you point out that Email and SMS are ineffective in accomplishing tasks; I may not fully agree.For example, Email is a major way for students to communicate with professors; SMS is a fast and efficient way to keep connected to close friends. But yes, they may have limited use for relationship-building.

    ReplyDelete